𝗦𝘂𝗿𝗴𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗹 𝗖𝗮𝗽 - 𝗨𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗩𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗿𝗼
1 yard of cotton fabric and thread to match. This will make 2 caps.
𝟭 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗿𝗼 (the rough side is
called the hook and the softer side is called the loop); 𝟮 ¾ 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗵
𝗼𝗳 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗽 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗰𝗿𝗼
1. Cut a 4-inch width by 26 ¼ inches (video I said 26 ½
should be 26 ¼). Use pinking shears to have a finished edge.
2. Fold the length of the 4-inch width in half right side together. Sew
each end ¼ inch. Turn and press (now 2 inches).
3. Sew 1-inch hook side of velcro ½ inch from end and ¼ inch
from fold edge. Sew around twice.
4. Sew 2 ¾ inch loop side of velcro on the flip side of strip 1
inch from end and ¼ inch from the top. Sew around twice. You should
have loop side on one side of band and hook side on the other. You do
not want them on the same side. Mark with a pin the middle of the cap
band. Set aside.
5. Cut circle 20 inches in diameter using pinking shears to have a finished
edge. (To make a pattern: get the largest plate or pizza pan, draw around
it on a piece of batting or muslin. Example: My pizza pan is 13 inches
across. I need 7 inches to make 20 inches. Divide 7 in half, so I need
to add 3 ½ inches around my drawn circle.)
𝟲. 𝗣𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿 ¼ 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗵 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝟰 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀. 𝗧𝗼𝗽𝘀𝘁𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵
𝟭/𝟴 𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗵 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗳𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗲𝗱 𝗲𝗱𝗴𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗱𝗼𝗻’𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗴𝗲𝘁
𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸𝘀𝘁𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵 (𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲 𝗮𝗱𝗱 𝗶𝗻𝘀𝘁𝗿𝘂𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻).
𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝘄𝗼 𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲
7. Starting from one side of the 4 inches, sew gathering stitches (make
stitch length longer, I did 4.5). Leave the thread tail long for pulling,
stitch 3/8 from the edge all the way around circle and stop at the other
side of the 4 inches. Leave a tail.
8. Stitch another gathering stitch ¼ from the edge all the way around.
9. Fold circle in half using the 4 inches sewing edge and mark with a pin
the half of the circle and keep pin there.
10. Pull the underside gathering thread to gather to the half way pin.
Then pull the other side of the 4-inch sewing edge.
11. Pin together the 2-half way pin in the circle and the half way pin
of the strip.
12. Pin the loop end side of the strip from step 4 to the right side of
gather circle. Start pinning the gathered edge to the strip 3 ¾
inch from the end of strip. This leaves the velcro loop end free. Continue
pinning adjusting gathers to the half way pin.
13. Pin to the hook end of strip, leaving 1 ½ inch from hook end free.
14. Sew 3/8-inch seam. Starting and ending at the 4 inch section, step 6.
15. Sew ¼ inch seam. Starting and ending at the 4-inch section, step 6.
16. Top stitch seam toward the 2-inch band. Top stitch the free ends of velcro.