MHP Spine Clinic
Neck & Back Pain Treatment in Shelbyville
Do you or a loved one suffer from severe, chronic aches and pains in the neck or back? These pains will usually heal on their own, but if yours has persisted for more than two weeks, it is time to consult with a doctor.
MHP Spine Clinic provides superior spine care tailored to the individual patient. Our team of physicians provides the latest in treatment options ranging from interventional pain management options to surgical and non-surgical procedures.
Common Causes of Back Pain
Neck and back pain are typically caused by muscle tears. The pain from this tear can be extremely severe and last for weeks. While they may heal on their own, a spine specialist can provide treatment to ease the pain and speed up recovery, including physical therapy, possible injections, and medication as needed.
Aside from muscle tears, there are several other possible causes of back pain that will not heal on their own. Finding the source of back pain usually requires some diagnostic image testing, such as an X-ray.
Possible causes of back and neck pain include:
- Herniated disc – The spine consists of several vertebrae that are separated by thick discs cartilage that absorb impact. When the discs bulge out of place (herniates), it causes nerves to be pinched and can cause leg or arm pain.
- Osteoarthritis – This is a common form of arthritis. It is caused by wear and tear on cartilage until it degrades to a point that the spine starts developing abnormalities like bone spurs and loss of disc space height.
- Bone spurs – Bone spurs are abnormal growths on the bone that typically form around joints with worn down cartilage. Most bone spurs are painless, but one that causes aches and swelling requires treatment.
- Spinal stenosis – Each vertebra has discs that sit between them throughout the spine. The nerves come out of the sides through foramen. Spinal stenosis is a condition that narrows the space where the nerves come out and can cause pinching of the nerves or narrowing of the spinal canal. This can exert pressure on the nerves, potentially causing pain in the neck, back, or legs especially in standing positions.
It can be difficult to determine the true cause of back pain because the symptoms for many conditions are very similar. We use state-of-the-art diagnostic technology to find the true source of back and neck pain. Physical Therapy is normally the treatment source for all back or neck injuries. Our goal is to start our patients on the most direct and effective treatment plan.
- Spine surgical services at Major Health Partners are offered by Dr. James Cole and Carrie Graves FNP-BC of Community Physician Network Orthopedic Specialty Care. Call the office today to schedule an appointment with our team.
- Call 317.395.5055
MHP Spine Clinic
2451 Intelliplex Drive | Suite 250 | Shelbyville, IN 46176