MHP COVID-19 Daily Update
April 1, 2020
GENERAL UPDATES FOR THE PUBLIC:
Shelby Go upcoming holiday closures: April 10th – Good Friday, May 22nd – Floating Holiday, May
25th – Memorial Day. ZTrip (formerly Yellow Cab) can be used as
Nursing Homes: We have started rounding daily in the local nursing homes. We are exploring
using more telehealth options for our nursing homes in order to keep patients
from having to be transported to the hospital.
MedWorks Pharmacy: MedWorks will soon be sending discharge medications with inpatients upon
discharge for convenience and to keep those at-risk patients in their
homes instead of having to visit a pharmacy.
- We need your empty hand sanitizer bottles. We are making our own hand sanitizer
and need your empty containers in order to reuse.
Do you have items that you would like to donate? (hand sanitizer, masks,
respirators, gloves, N95, bouffant caps, D-batteries, or gowns). If so,
please contact Angela Gill (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Food Donations: Several community supporters have called to offer to donate food for
our staff and physicians. Some are also doing it as a way to support those
restaurants who are struggling to stay afloat while they are only open
for carryout. We are extremely grateful for all the community support
and selfless gestures. If you would like to find out more information,
please contact Angela Gill (email@example.com).
Beds: We are receiving a donation of 7 inpatient beds from the Blue River Career Center.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): our current supply is stable as compared to our daily burn rate. The
exception to this is our isolation gowns. The turnaround time to get these
laundered and returned to circulation is a critical issue and we are working
with local businesses to assist in the turnaround time.
- We have 10 emergency ventilators that run on D-batteries only. The batteries
are required to be changed every 48 hours. Our engineering staff are currently
exploring how to covert these devices from battery operated to electric.
PATIENTS TREATED AT OUR RESPIRATORY CLINIC LOCATIONS:
- Priority Care located at 30 W. Rampart Road: Treated 24 patients yesterday
and 9 patients so far today. Priority Care is open 7AM-7PM Monday through
Friday and 8AM-2PM on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Washington St. Clinic located at 157 W. Washington St: The Washington St.
Clinic treated 24 patients yesterday and has seen 19 patients today so
far. Washington St. Clinic is open 8AM to 4:30PM Monday through Friday.
CALL CENTER VOLUMES:
- 392-DOCS line had 21 phone calls yesterday.
- Call Center volumes: 478 calls answered since Friday (does not include
392-DOCS line). Average queue hold 35 seconds with 96% answered.
WANT TO CHECK IN WITH A LOVED ONE WHO IS AT MAJOR HOSPITAL?
Managing visitation: Indiana hospitals are strictly enforcing visitation
rules. We are following the same policies. However, Major Hospital understands
you still need to see and hear your loved one.
That’s why we have initiated using FaceTime or Skype connectivity
for patients and their family members. We have dedicated iPads that our patients can use to communicate with
the outside world using our dedicated Wi-Fi access. The inpatient nursing
staff is also offering family members a phone number to call in for daily
updates and offering to make daily calls to the patient’s family
Visitors are prohibited with the following exceptions:
- One designated at end of life with appropriate screening
- One designated for laboring patient with appropriate screening
- One designated for pediatric patient with appropriate screening
- One designated for surgery patient with appropriate screening
If a visitor is permitted, the visitor must remain in the patient’s
room and cannot come and go from the patient’s room. We are doing
this to protect our other high-risk patients and our staff. The visitor
not have a positive or pending COVID-19 test.
MHP TESTING STATUS: Please understand we are only able to report numbers and results of MHP
patients who had their testing ordered or performed through MHP. The Shelby
County Health Department receives the positive results for ALL Shelby
County residents, regardless of the location where the testing was performed.
If the COVID-19 test was not ordered or performed by MHP, we are not notified
of the test or the result. Consequently, our reported testing data will
differ from that information available through the Indiana State Department
of Health, the CDC and the Shelby County Health Department.
- Number of available swabs/media: 372. We will continue to follow the ISDH/CDC
testing protocols to determine which patients are eligible for testing.
Lilly testing location has expanded its testing criteria to include essential public employees and those in the community considered
vulnerable to the virus.
Both the Washington St. Clinic and Priority Care are able to test patients
for COVID-19. However, both are
continuing to follow the recommended ISDH testing criteria which has been
expanded as of 4/1. The updated testing requirements are listed on the ISDH website.
MHP INPATIENT STATUS:
- Current number of inpatients: 20
- Current number of patients in isolation: 16 (4 patients are on a vent and
1 is on BiPap and 1 is on a trilogy device)
- Number of available beds: 20
MHP EMERGENCY DEPT STATUS:
- Number of ER patients in last 24 hours: 38
- Number of ER patients with respiratory signs/symptoms: 9 (representing 24%)
- 6 patients are in the ACC
- Indiana State Dept of Health Call Center for Healthcare workers and the
general public (staffed 8AM-8PM) (317) 233-7125. Please call (317) 233-1325
- For the Shelby County Health Department, please call (317) 392-6470.