FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For more information contact: MHP Wound Care
PREVENTION AND CARE OF SUMMER BITES, BURNS AND CUTS
MHP Wound Care offers preventive tips to stay healthy this summer
Shelbyville, Indiana – This summer, keep your family safe, happy and healthy by staying vigilant and taking appropriate action against summer bites, burns and cuts.
- Over the past thirty years more people have had skin cancer than all other cancers combined.
- Mosquitoes transmit several serious diseases including malaria, dengue, Zika and chikungunya.
- People infected with tetanus may spend weeks in the ICU and frequently require a ventilator.
The Wound Care Center at Major Health Partners, a member of the Healogics network offers these tips for staying healthy this summer:
- Remember that sunburns are entirely preventable. With the appropriate shade, clothing and sunscreen these painful burns don’t have to be a part of your summer.
- Though uncomfortable, most bug bites are harmless and can be avoided with proper insect repellant and protective clothing; however, with the presence of an allergy, some insect bites can result in severe reactions. Seek emergency care for insect bites if you are experiencing chest pain, swelling of the face, turning blue, nausea, cramps, vomiting, or are having difficulty swallowing or breathing.
- A minor cut or scrape will typically heal without medical intervention, but deep puncture wounds are at high risk for infection. Puncture wounds made by nails, teeth or knives are more susceptible to tetanus as the infectious bacteria is most commonly found in soil, dust, manure and saliva.
MHP Wound Care offers comprehensive wound care and leading edge treatments including negative pressure wound therapy, bio-engineered skin substitutes, biological and biosynthetic dressings and growth factor therapies.
For more information on the treatment of chronic or infected wounds, contact MHP Wound Care.