First, we want to thank everyone for coming together as we make preparations for our response. Our staff has been outstanding and we appreciate everyone’s willingness to pitch in during this time of need. Incident Command has been established and we are meeting daily to assess our response to the COVID-19 situation. Below is a summary of what we have implemented to date. As with any crisis situation, this plan is fluid and will continue to evolve and require adaptation on everyone’s part. The safety and security of our patients, visitors our staff is of utmost importance.
- No visitors will be permitted at MHP Medical Center. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis only in the following areas: ICU, OB/delivery, pediatrics, emergency department and outpatient surgery. In end-of-life situations, up to two visitors may be allowed per patient.
- The café will be closed to the general public. The café will remain open for staff, patients, approved visitors, and those patients receiving special dietary meals.
- Elective and non-emergent surgeries will be canceled/restricted. This is being done to make room for a possible influx of patients and to limit potential exposure. Our providers and surgeons will consult and determine whether the surgery/procedure should take place or be postponed. This includes non-emergent diagnostic testing, including services in Imaging and Cardiopulmonary. Again, if the surgeon or the referring provider feels the case is necessary to proceed, we will continue to schedule and perform the case.
- Maintaining sufficient supplies during this crisis will be one of our biggest challenges. Our current supply situation remains stable; however, we anticipate certain supplies reaching a critical shortage and we are requesting all staff conserve and protect supplies.
- Outpatient offices will continue to schedule and treat patients in the office as deemed necessary by the provider. All other visits (including well visits), will be postponed and rescheduled until further notice. Again, if the provider feels the patient should be seen in the office, we will continue to schedule and treat the patient.
- Most importantly, please understand WE WILL REMAIN OPEN FOR BUSINESS. Our job is to care for our patients in this community, and that is what we will do. Our focus has temporarily shifted to take care of the medical needs of our acutely ill patients and we are here for them during these difficult times.
We will continue to send out updates as they are available. Due to a critically low shortage of testing swabs, we are only able to test “critically ill” persons at this time. We have ordered and hope to receive more swabs, but this shortage is nationwide and not specific to MHP or even Indiana. Please call (317) 392-DOCS if you are symptomatic. They will direct you where to seek care and if you meet the criteria for testing. If you are critically ill, proceed to the Emergency Dept. Otherwise, please call (317) 392-DOCS.