Shelbyville Anticoagulation Clinic
Helping Warfarin Users Manage Their Treatment
Major Health Partners’ anticoagulation clinic is a physician-directed,
nurse-managed service offering advanced management for patients taking
blood thinners like Coumadin to treat their vascular conditions. This
clinic closely monitors patients’ progress with face-to-face contact
for more responsive care.
- Our anticoagulation clinic benefits patients being treated for:
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Post-ortho surgery
- Blood clotting disorders
All registered nurses working in our clinic have received special training
in anticoagulation therapy management and will work with you to ensure
you are receiving the best care possible.
Participation in the anticoagulation clinic program is voluntary. Patients
are free to choose monitoring with the clinic or to continue monitoring
with their physician. One of the greatest advantages of our clinic is
that blood is obtained from a simple finger stick rather than a regular
blood draw. Testing is complete within seconds and nurses use a physician-approved
protocol to adjust doses if necessary.
Other services the clinic provides are:
- Real-time dosing of warfarin (Coumadin)
- Associated laboratory testing as appropriate
- Lovenox self-administration education
- Comprehensive telephone management
- Patient care coordination through the healthcare continuum
- Screening for medication interactions/dietary changes
- Assisting in bridging warfarin therapy around surgical procedures
- Monitoring for side effects
To join our program, patients must be capable of following directions or
have an able caregiver who can assist them regarding their care and diet
at home. A provider/physician referral is required.