Kidney Care & Dialysis in Shelbyville
The kidneys are responsible for removing waste from the body and processing
nutrients. When a kidney fails, waste and excess fluid starts pooling
up the blood, causing nausea, muscle cramps, and other health problems.
Left untreated, kidney failure can be fatal. It is important to have kidney
issues diagnosed and treated as soon as possible so your medical team
can take the appropriate intervention.
At Major Health Partners, we offer comprehensive nephrology (kidney care)
services in Central Indiana.
- Our clinical nephrology services include:
- Home-based peritoneal and hemodialysis
- In-center hemodialysis
- Acute inpatient hemodialysis
- Evaluation for kidney transplant and referrals to transplant surgeons
- Post-operative care and management of kidney transplant
- Nutritional management of kidney disease
- Coordinated care for any kidney procedure
- Coordinated care for kidney disease in pregnancy
- Kidney biopsy
Planning and Maintenance of Dialysis Access:
- Vein mapping
- Angioplasty or stent of blocked access
- Acute kidney failure
- Chronic kidney disease (polycystic kidney disease, glomerular disease,
hypertension, kidney stones, lupus nephritis, thin basement membrane disease,
membranous, focal-segmental, membranoproliferative, IgA)
- End stage kidney disease requiring dialysis
- Kidney transplant
- Drug-induced kidney injury or disease
- Anemia due to chronic kidney disease
- Bloody urine (hematuria)
- Protein in the urine (proteinuria and albuniuria)
- Electrolyte disorders
- Pregnancy related kidney disorders
Dialysis in Shelby County
Patients who have suffered complete renal (kidney) failure need regular
dialysis treatments. Dialysis essentially serves as a replacement for
a functioning kidney. There are methods of administering dialysis, but
all of them accomplish the same thing: removing waste from the blood.
Our dialysis department is run by experienced nephrologist Dr. Jorge Diego
and Dr. Anupama Mohanram. We offer comprehensive dialysis care, including:
- In-center hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- Home hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis for eligible patients
- An educational program for dialysis patients and their families
- Nutritional services for patients with chronic kidney failure
Whether you are visiting from out of town or looking for a new dialysis
center, our team will be happy to meet you and get you started on the
treatment you need.
Once a kidney has failed, the only treatment available is lifelong dialysis
sessions or receiving a kidney transplant. The waiting list for kidney
transplants is very long, but some patients may be able to receive them
early if they have a pressing, life-threatening condition. We guide eligible
transplant candidates through every stage of the transplant process.
We start with a comprehensive pre-transplant evaluation to make sure you
can safely receive a transplant from a donor. A skilled member of our
Nephrology team will help you navigate through the process to prepare
for the operation. Once the procedure is complete, we provide long-term
care to ensure your new kidney performs as expected.